Tropical Baked Beans2016-09-01
- Servings : 8-12
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 6:0 h
- Ready In : 6:0 h
Classic baked beans get a touch of the tropics with the addition of pineapple, orange, and mango.
- 6 thick cut slices smoked bacon, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1-1/2 cups chopped bell peppers, optional
- 1-1/2 TB minced garlic
- 1/2 cup prepared dijon mustard
- 3 28 oz cans country style baked beans,d rained
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 mango, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 1 seedless, unpeeled, orange, quartered, pureed
- 1/4 cup minced ginger
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1-2 TB prepared jerk seasoning, optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
In a large skillet over medium high heat, sauté bacon until cooked but not crispy. Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Set aside until needed. Do not discard grease.
Add onions, and peppers to the skillet. Saute over medium high heat until translucent, but not browned about 5-7 minutes.
Stir in mustard, beans, paste, pineapple with juice, mango, orange puree, ginger, brown sugar, jerk seasoning, salt, pepper, and reserved bacon.
Once all the ingredients have been heated through, pour into the crock of a large slow cooker. Cook on High for 6 hours.
After the third hour, remove the lid and cook to thicken up the sauce. You want the consistency to be saucy, but not soupy.